Saturday, July 5, 2008

Moving - phase 1

My room in the house on Albany with the red door is empty. This signifies the end of a chapter of my life in Chicago, some moments i'm ready for this, and other moments I wonder what in the world I have done. The doubtful moments come even stronger after spending time with a friend and her children on Friday - the day before my move . . . why? why didn't this happen a year ago or 6 months ago??? I know that I can trust God's timing, but i don't always understand it! Nonetheless, I'm thankful for each moment that God gives us and realize that there is a lesson to be learned in every situation!
As far as the move itself - it went better than I could have ever hoped. My grandpa and I left Lowell, Indiana at 7:20am in his big pick-up truck and stopped by the UHAUL place to hook up the biggest trailer they had. Then we drove up into Chicago with hardly traffic which made it a nice quick drive! We were there a little before 9:30am and we started getting things together and organized. Grandpa then took the top off of my dining room table and wanted to get it down to the trailer. I tried to stall because I didn't want to carry it - it's heavy!!! - and I knew that there were strong guys on there way. After asking if he wanted to wait for more guys and no more opportunities to stall, down the stairs we went. We got down the stairs in the house and out to the porch steps when 2 guys showed up that were helping with the move =) They immediately took my end of the table and I was off the hook for any other heavy awkward furniture =) More helpers continued to trickle in and there were at least 8-10 people there. They did such a wonderful job, everything was in and loaded by 10:30am. After some quick cleaning we were on the road back to Indiana and stopped for a quick bite to eat on the way home. When we got to my mom's house there were 4 people there to help us and all the boxes and suitcases were unloaded there. Then grandpa, myself and one other person headed out to "the farm". That's were my grandparents live and they have a trailer that my grandpa didn't want to pull into the city, but that could hold my big furniture until fall. Because that was just a quick transfer of my bigger furniture it did not take long. We were done, took a quick break for some ice cold drinks and then we were on the road again to return the trailer to the UHAUL place before 7pm so that we didn't get charged for 2 days. Interesting fact: UHAUL furniture pads are made out of recycled jeans!
With the trailer returned and an empty truck, what else was there to do but stop for a treat at Dairy Queen? It was a yummy end to a hard days work!
I am so thankful for each and every person that took time out of their day to help me get through this first phase of moving.
There are many unknowns as to the next phase of the move that will take place in the fall, but what else can I do but trust God's plans and timing and know that it's all in His hands!

1 comment:

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

That's some impressive effeciency! Way to go! What an exciting and scary/sad time! I'm praying for you!